Link building is the very basic of any SEO campaign. Though calculating quality of the backlinks is not new but ever since the Google Penguin update has come, the importance of the quality links is the most shouted thing in SEO. So it is the right time to educate you on the quality aspect of the links that will leave an impact on the search engine ranking.
Let us discuss the three main factors that you should consider while building your backlinks for your website and here they are:
- Exact Match Anchor & Link Location
Links from a high PageRank webpage used to be considered as the quality link once. But today it is all about on-topic and contextual links. Though contextual relevancy is not a new concept but this time Google has added it to their ranking algorithm as a prime factor. The penguin update has made it clear that the on-topic domain level links are going to stay forever.
The off-topic domain links are not that bad and pass the link juice. Though it is a part of your diverse link pattern. But it hurts when you got a major part of your backlinks from irrelevant websites. This triggers red flag.
So you need to be careful while building links. Your focus should be on thematic and on-topic links. For example, if your website is about “travel”, you must build backlinks from similar travel niche websites.
Exact Match Anchor and Link Location
Anchor text is the clickable text when clicked guides the user to a landing page linked in the text. Anchor text plays an important role in the overall keyword ranking of a website. But using the same anchor text again and again can destroy all your effort.
At the current scenario, you need to make sure all your links look natural, but too many exact match anchor links contradict it. So all you need to diversify your anchors. The brand name anchor text not only helps to build a solid brand reputation for your business online but also you can diversify the anchor and avoid the penalty for over optimization of the keywords. Along with brand name anchor, you should use naked urls, domain name, and long phrase keywords to link back your website.
Link Location: Again link location is also very essential for your success. Almost all the search engines love contextual links i.e link surrounded by relevant content. Sidewide Links though do not hurt much, but it is always good to play safe and avoid such links.
Authority links are an absolute requirement for ranking in the search engines. Basically links form established websites are considered as authority links.
What is an authority link?
Authority is a subjective concept and there is no specific guideline that differentiates authority site to non-authority site. PAGERANK is what Google uses to represent the authority of a webpage through a number between 0 and 10. The sites having highest authority are assigned 10 and the lower ones with 0.
There are also many other tools that you can use to find out the authority of a website, such as moz tool, alexa tool, compete rank etc
16 ways to build links to your website:
- Contextual links are best. Submit Guest Post to Other Blogs.
- Find relevant blog post to comment on. Though it does not carry much SEO value but do-follow blog comment helps in overall backlink building.
- Find relevant Forums and Link to Your Blog Posts.
- Go for submitting your website into top social bookmarkeing sites.
- Join Question answer sites.
- Join discuss boards and share your website. Quora is one such discussion board.
- Join blogging communities and share your blog posts.
- Interlink your blog posts
- Exchange links with other blogger but keep it natural.
- Send your to blog directories and blog feeds to RSS directories
- Share your blog in to social media site.
- Share your articles in stumbleupon, delicious, digg and redit
- Distribute press-release about important updates from your blog.
- Create Plugings, themes etc and share for free
- Create PDFs and PPTs and share them
- Use web 2.0 sites for promoting your blog
- Write quality and conversional posts for your blog
- Write news related posts and try to be one of the first people to write it.
- Sponsor blogging contest and you will get a lot of backlinks from this.
This is very simple, for building quality links all you need to understand the links first. Make sure you really invest time and the best effort to make all your links look natural. Obviously you have to adjust your strength and do what works the best.