Although most of the search engines do not consider META description while ranking the websites, but it still plays a huge role in generating traffic for any websites in the SERP & SEO. While in the recent years the importance of META data as a ranking factor has reduced, but it has moved to the next level where it has evolved as a important factor to improve your CTR.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- What is meta description? And how it impacts visitors.
- How It Helps Generate Traffic to the Websites
- How to optimize your meta for SEO
What is Meta description?
In layman, META descriptions are HTML attributes that informs the search engines more about the contents of the webpage and are commonly seen on search engine result pages (SERPs) to display a preview snippets for a given page.
Defining technically; MetaData is data about data i.e it provides more information about a webpage that will not be displayed in the page but machine readable and typically used to specify description, keywords, author etc. of the page that can be seen in the source of the page and placed between <head> </head>.
In HTML the <meta> tag has no end tag where In XHTML the <meta> tag must be properly closed.
How It Helps Generate Traffic to the Websites
Just like the name written on the board outside a shop tells you what’s it’s all about, Meta description inform searchers all about your website in the search engine result page before they actually visit your website. Without proper information the visitors will be drifting to other sites or simply get lost in the Search engine result pages. In the absence of meta data, the Google scans your website and selects some random content that matches the visitor’s keywords and display it.
This can have quite a negative impact since the text may not even do justice to your website. Meta description combines keywords with compelling description that will make the searcher click on your link. Since keywords are so important, incorporating it in the meta description gives your website an advantage.
Meta description serves as an advertising copy and attracts searchers from SERP to your website. A keyword rich, compelling meta description can maximize your website’s click-through rates otherwise called as CTR.
What makes Meta description Compelling
Meta description is mostly neglected by the digital marketers, because they think it doesn’t matter anymore. But, the fact is, most of the searchers will skip your website in SERPs if there is nothing concrete to help them find what they are looking for. So it’s important that you put an extra effort in creating an effective meta description for your website.
How to optimize your meta for SEO
Here is what a great meta description consists of:
- 155 Characters Of Information: The ideal length of a compelling meta description is 155-160 characters. It’s not so much about the length, but the Google criteria (because it’s the most popular search engine in the world). Meta description of length more than 160 characters will be shortened by the Google.
- Offer Solution Or Benefits: The solo motto of the meta description is to provide direction to the searchers. In other words, tell them what they can aspect once they click on the link. This works better than a generic description of the website or a particular webpage. The description must have valuable content to make the searcher click on the link.
- Call-To-Action Language: Website traffic alone is not enough. What any business looks for is some action on the part of the searcher or visitors. Meta description can provide that opportunity. Words like “Learn”, “Discover” or “Grab “are one most effective call-to-action words.
- Use Keywords: Though Google does not use the meta tag in web ranking but it encourages to use more accurate, concise, relevant info by creating properly optimized Meta tags.
Meta description is an effective SEO tool that can help you get the visitors to your site in the first instant. Yet, it is over looked most of the time. Falling to add meta description could make you lose out on all the potential visitors (or potential customers). It’s your best chance to win over prospects. It is like a short sales pitch for your website, which can not only improve click-through rates, it can persuade searchers to choose you over your SERPs competitors.
Share your thoughts in the comment.