As the name suggests, the Heading tags are the distinguished words or phrases used in a web page to differentiate it from the rest of the content. Technically it is known as HTML header tags. Generally this is supported by all browsers and used as <h1> </h1> to <h6> </h6> in html coding to define HTML headings where<h1> defines the most important heading and <h6> defines the least important heading.
In HTML coding the header tags forms a hierarchy from h1 to h6 and used in similar manner. This means that you need to follow the tag in its hierarchy order and jumping the tags in between 2 tags will break your document structure.
For example, the coding should be something like what is shown below:
<h1>your main heading</h1> <h2>the secondary heading of your webpage</h2> <h3>less priority keywords in your h3 heading</h3> <h2>the secondasy heading for your webpage</h2> <h3>Sub-section of the secondary heading 2</h3> <h4>Sub-section of the 4th leval heading 2</h3>
How you write your header; here go few tips
- Always put your main header tag <h1> </h1> at the top of the page, preferably after the. Search engines like this format.
- If you have any keywords targeting to that particular landing page; always keep the primary targeted keyword as the h1 tag of the page.
- Can I have more than 1 header tag on the page? Well it will not hurt your site but one is preferred.
Advantages of Using Heading Tags
The heading tag plays dual role for a website. In terms of SEO they provide better rank for the targeted keywords and in terms of usability they provide visitor engagement by structuring the entire webpage.
Header tags from an SEO point of view
- Search engine spiders mainly determine the ranking of the keywords by finding its importance in the web page itself. For that they check the relevancy of the header tag with the content associated with it. So keywords used in header tags are having more change to rank better than a competitor site.
Header tags from a usability point of view
- The webpage is like a newspaper; the headlines attract most of the attention in a webpage. The heading tags of a page give users a quick overview of the content that is to follow on the page. By reading the different heading tags, users can easily scan the page and read only the section they are interested in.
SEO best practices with heading tags
- Do not stuff your heading tags with keywords. This may work in reverse.
- Never use more than one h1 tag on a webpage unless really necessary. This will dilute your keyword consistency
- Never use heading tags as hidden text.
- Always use unique heading tags for each single page of your webstite. Do not repeat same heading tags throughout your website.
- Do not use the same content in your page’s h1 tag as in your meta title tag.
- Use html header tags for displaying of organized and structured content on pages.
Share you thoughts in comments.